Monday, February 21, 2005

gonzo goodbye

So Hunter Thompson shot himself to death. The news said he'd been sick and in a wheelchair.

''I wasn't surprised,'' said George Stranahan, a former owner of the Woody Creek Tavern, one of Thompson's favorite hangouts. ''I never expected Hunter to die in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of him.''

I guess I get it. Something tells me suicide is going to be the way out for a lot of people as the boomers start getting sick and deciding that death is okay but dying in a slow ungainly way, a snip at a time, isn't.

Appreciations of a truly great American writer, here, and here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suicide is the last resort of hte self-absorrbed, which is why the Boomers will reach for it so readily.

-- Baney

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hunter Thompson was certainly self-absorbed, and tho he wasnt a boomer himself he was a hero to many of us.

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home